Friday, December 20, 2013

Messages

This is one of those stories that people would be sure is fiction, and although the first half of it was cool enough that I thought I'd share on Facebook, the latter half left me just a little freaked out and certain if I posted that part people would just shake their head and say "Yeah, you made that part up." But no, it's real. It's one of those really rare wild coincidence stories that happen now and then. Or maybe it's something more... either way, I thought I'd put it down here because I wanted to write it out, exactly as it unfolded.

So here I sat tonight, watching YouTube videos on the TV. I was alternately looking at the computer and the TV, getting ready to respond to a note on Facebook, and occasionally chattering about the video to Jeff's picture. In other words, fairly average night for the past few days. Then something colorful on the floor caught my eye and I looked over to see what that was.

In the middle of the floor, near the front door, was a little pink paper heart. I sort of remembered cutting it out from one of the small size pink post it notes, probably back around Valentine's Day. I'm not even sure what I did with it after that, I think I had made a few, this might have been stuck to Jeff's laptop, or stuck to my desk, or stuck to something. But wherever it had been I hadn't seen it in months, and since it was a bit of a throwaway idea I'd forgot all about it.

Now here it is, a little pink heart unfolded and quite pristine, and laying on the carpet. Obviously I picked up something that it was attached to and it fell off and fluttered into place where I noticed it. I've moved stuff around all day, I don't know what this was stuck to, but I suspect it had hitched a ride. I thought it was really cool, though, a neat little thing to find, a memory, and sort of like a little kiss from Jeff. I stuck the heart to the monitor and smiled at it, wrote a little Facebook post, and was happy.

Fast forward fifteen minutes or so. I was telling a few other people my cute heart story and getting ready to put the paper heart into a frame with Jeff's photo. I opened the lap drawer on my desk to get something that I could use to slide the heart under the glass and the first thing I see, right in the front of the drawer, is a folded up pink sticky note, with a heart shape cut out of it.

Now this drawer is a mess. I've cleaned it out a bit lately, but it's still a mess, full of old paper, junk, empty pens, more junk, and pretty much anything I wanted to scrape off the top of my desk. I move things around in it constantly, earlier I had shuffled it to and fro looking for USB cords. I don't recall seeing the pink note then, although I could have tossed it all over the place and not paid attention.

Now, just after I find the heart, here is a paper with a heart outline. Okay. Coincidence, right? I held it up and it is indeed the exact paper that the heart came from. Logically this is still just one of those rare events where it's totally explainable as random chance, but still astonishing when it happens.

But there is that part of me that feels like it is a little nudge from Jeff, a message to me. He's with me. He really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment